Saturday 26 June 2010

Do it now

Last year a gnarled twisted old tree was in full blossom.  The last tree standing before the land gave way to sea, its stunted growth had been much influenced by the continual and usually pretty tree unfriendly environment.

Add to this it was near a play area, such as they are now, and a road, the tree represents a determination to survive.  It’s existence enhanced the area.

I don’t now how many times I would have carelessly passed that tree giving it but the slightest thought but this day the sun was behind it just right.  The fact it retained its blossom was the reason, usually the sea wind would remove it almost the moment it appeared.  I had no camera so resolved to return to get the picture.

Of course life seems to be composed of more important things than making a special trip in the hope of catching a tree in full blossom, with the sun behind it.  But I owed that tree a photo.

I promptly forgot until last week when I went past again.  The tree is a stump a few inches above the ground.  The council cut it down.  I really really hope it has nothing to do with the failed flats development sitting across the road.  Sea views are worth more than tree views afterall and there is a surprising correlation between a new house going up and an old tree coming down.

I will go back and count the tree rings to get an idea of how long it was there.

My chance to photograph this tree, that will have struggled almost everyday of its existence was gone.  I don’t know how long that tree had stood there, but gone is gone, there will not be another there in my lifetime.

It is filed away in my minds eye along with other trees in the area I have admired and which no longer stand.  It is a considerable number, and while there are many left, there are fewer, each one is a loss.

I missed my chance to capture something which will not return and I regret it.  You never know what tomorrow will bring, if you have something to tell someone say it, if you have something to do, do it.  It is not always practical of course and I will fail to follow my advice, but if I try a little harder to do so, I will miss less.

No comments:

Post a Comment