Saturday 18 July 2009

Psychogeography

Words: Will Self
Picures: Ralph Steadman

I have enjoyed the wit of Will Self (a link is worth 1000 words)  for years.  He seems to have a unique turn of phrase and a great comic timing.

Lurching into the public eye because of his taking of hard drugs on John Major’s campaign bus (points for style right there).

He is not everyone’s cup of tea.

Psychogeography might need some explanation so follow the link. Self is the one author I read which can still send me to dictionary corner (a comment on me, or authors?)

The book itself is a collection of the best bits of his column in The Independent with a story of his walk to New York leading us into it.

I had to read the book because when flicking through the internet, as I do, it transpired Will Self walked The Essex Way.

The man really does find walking appealing, although in this book it is largely an urban pursuit for him (given the title of the book and its central premise it’s what you should expect).

More than once this was laugh out loud funny, “Kate Moss or Moss?” I found difficult to get through, reading some of the lines for a fourth or fifth time I was still cackling with glee.

I simply zoomed through the book, the chapters so short because of the original format that it was almost impossible to stop turning the pages.

I do not think it is possible to look at the world in the same way having read this book.

Maybe it will help fill my head with a more positive outlook when forced to wander the urban landscape.

I might even try urban walking as pleasure, in which case this book would become a gateway to a whole new world for me.

I wonder.

Anyway here is the book on Amazon, or do as I tend to do, support your local library.

No comments:

Post a Comment